Nonfiction Book Editing:
J. K. Lasser’s (John Wiley and Sons)
Worked with the author and in-house editor to reorganize, revise, and edit the text for Your Winning Retirement Plan, a financial planning guide by former Boeing president Henry K. Hebeler.
Macmillan General Reference, Alpha Books
Development editor for the Complete Idiot’s Guide series. Responsibilities included working with authors from copyediting through pages to produce series-specific content and text; revising and line editing manuscripts; approving art; coordinating production and editorial schedules; reviewing copy- and technical edits; reviewing proof pages; writing cover copy. Titles included:
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Beautiful Skin
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Being a Vegetarian
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Bible Mysteries
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Freelancing
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Learning Spanish on Your Own (second edition)
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Lost Civilizations
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Reflexology
• Smart Shopping the Lazy Way
Minnesota Historical Society Press / Borealis Books
Line edited and copyedited the following works:
• The Lyncher in Me, a nonfiction narrative by Warren Read.
• Wineries of Minnesota and Wisconsin, a guide to area wineries by Patricia Monaghan.
• The Citizen Solution, a work on progressive politics by Harry C. Boyte.
• Come One Come All, a cookbook by Lee Svitak Dean (proofreading).
• Minnesota’s Golden Age of Wrestling, a history by George Shire.
• Anishinaabe Syndicated: A View from the Rez, a collection of essays and columns by Jim Northrup.
• The 1968 Project: A Nation Coming of Age, a companion book to the 1968 Exhibit.
• Mni Sota Makoce: The Land of the Dakota, a Minnesota Book Award–winning history by Gwen Westerman and Bruce White (substantive editing).
• Making Marriage: Husbands, Wives, and the American State in Dakota and Ojibwe Country, an analysis of nineteenth-century gender politics by Catherine Denial.
• Conflicted Mission: Faith, Disputes, and Deception on the Dakota Frontier, a study of missionary and Dakota interaction in antebellum Minnesota by Linda M. Clemmons.
• Warrior Nation: A History of the Red Lake Ojibwe, the story of the Red Lake Nation in northwestern Minnesota by Anton Treuer.
• We Carry Our Homes with Us, a memoir by Cuban immigrant Marisella Veiga.
• Making Waves: Grassroots Feminism in Duluth and Superior, a history of Twin Ports feminism and organizations by Elizabeth Ann Bartlett.
• Scandinavians in the Statehouse: How Nordic Immigrants Shaped Minnesota Politics, a history by Klas Bergman.
• Complicated Fun: The Birth of Minneapolis Punk and Indie Rock, 1974–1984, an oral history compilation by Cyn Collins.
• Dirty Doc Ames and the Scandal That Shook Minneapolis, a journalistic history by Erik Rivenes.
• Wild and Rare: Tracking Endangered Species in the Upper Midwest, a lyrical look at eleven Minnesota natives by Adam Regn Arvidson (proofreading).
Copyedited the manuscript for Everyday Early Learning, an elementary-level activity book by Jeff Johnson.
Skinner House Press
Copyedited the manuscript for Uncommon Community, a guide to prison writing programs sponsored by the Unitarian Universalist church, by John Speer.
Worked with the author and in-house editor to develop and edit the text for Creating the Not So Big House, a best-selling architecture book by Sarah Susanka.
University of Minnesota Press (for Wendy Holdman Design)
Line edited and copyedited manuscripts for the following books. Worked with authors through author review, indexing, and proofing stages; copyedited indexes; approved and merged proofs; checked and applied formatting using Scribe Mark-up Language (ScML).
• Cinema Approaching Realty: Locating Chinese Film Theory, a philosophy text by Victor Fan, lecturer of film studies at King’s College, London.
• Inheriting Possibility: Social Reproduction and Quantification in Education, a study of systemic bias from a post-modern perspective by Ezekiel J. Dixon-Román.
• Code and Clay, Data and Dirt: Five Thousand Years of Urban Media, a history of the mediated and mediating city by Shannon Mattern.
• Youth Media Matters: Participatory Cultures and Literacies in Education by Korina M. Jocson.
Books for Independent Authors:
• Line editing and copyediting for Post-Dated: The Schooling of an Irreverent Bonsai Monk, an account of Michael’s apprenticeship in Japan.
• Coauthor credit (aka heavy editing) for “Mountain Hemlock on Levitated Nylon Board,” published in Bonsai Focus magazine.
Dr. Joseph Gryskiewicz
Substantive editing and copyediting for Dr. Joe’s Guide to Cosmetic Surgery.
Reference Encyclopedia, Journal, and Textbook Editing:
Edited and coded articles and bibliographies by various authors for the Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics (second edition).
Gale Group (Macmillan General Reference, Scribner General Reference)
Edited entries and bibliographies by various authors for the following reference works:
• Encyclopedia of Education
• Encyclopedia of the History of Childhood
• Encyclopedia of Religion
• History of Europe 1789 to 1914
• History of Europe 1914 to 2004
• International Encyclopedia of Social Sciences
• Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture
• Encyclopedia of Russian History (cold reads)
• Cuba (Scribner World Scholar Series)
Copyedited and proofread text and ancillaries for the teacher’s editions of the following elementary (grades K–8) textbooks:
• Mathematics Plus (1994 editions)
• New Elementary Social Studies (1997 editions)
• Treasury of Literature (1993 editions; included fact-checking)
• Treasury of Literature (1995 editions)
Holt, Rinehart and Winston
Copyedited manuscript for style, clarity, and content for the following ninth-grade textbooks:
• Holt Earth Science (1994 edition)
• Holt Physical Science (1994 edition)
Charles Scribner’s Sons
Copyedited and fact-checked manuscripts by various authors for the following:
• American Nature Writers; also responsible for second edits
• British Writers, Supplement III
• Encyclopedia of Africa South of the Sahara
Thomas Riggs and Company
Edited, coded, and fact-checked text and bibliographies by various authors for the following reference works:
• St. James Encyclopedia of Pop Culture
• International Directory of Company Histories
• Dex City Guides
• Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism
• Twentieth-Century Literature Criticism
• Twenty-First-Century Literature Criticism
• Literature of War
• Literature of Propaganda
• Literature of Manifesto
Edited, fact-checked, coded, and tagged literary biographies and criticism for the following online reference databases:
• Literature Online (British) https://proquest.libguides.com/lion
• Literature Criticism Online (American) https://www.gale.com/databases/literature-criticism-online
University of Minnesota Press (for Wendy Holdman Design)
Copyeditor for Buildings & Landscapes, the journal of the Vernacular Architecture Forum, volume 24, no. 2 (Fall 2017) to date.
• Copyedited the final manuscript for The Changing Earth: Exploring Geology and Evolution, a college textbook combining two earlier books. Edited for consistency in figures, outlines, cross references, and style; edited new material; typemarked manuscript.
• Edited the original manuscript for Graphic Arts Problem Solving, a college-level textbook. Edited for content, clarity, and style; typemarked manuscript.
Writing and Text Analysis:
Reviewed the text and edited the corresponding tests for an online study guide to accompany America’s History (fourth edition), a college textbook.
Wrote geography entries for the first edition of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Encyclopedia (2000). Entries were based on material from the Encyclopedia Britannica and Webster’s Geographical Dictionary.
Reviewed, revised, and wrote test questions for LearnSmart, a McGraw-Hill integrated testing program, using the online database Annotate. Texts included Experience History: Interpreting America’s Past (Davidson) and World History: Traditions and Encounters (Bentley).