J. K. Lasser’s (John Wiley and Sons)
Worked with the author and in-house editor to reorganize, revise, and edit the text for Your Winning Retirement Plan, a financial planning guide by former Boeing president Henry K. Hebeler.
Macmillan General Reference, Alpha Books
Development editor for the Complete Idiot’s Guide series. Responsibilities included working with authors from copyediting through pages to produce series-specific content and text; revising and line editing manuscripts; approving art; coordinating production and editorial schedules; reviewing copy- and technical edits; reviewing proof pages; writing cover copy. Titles included:
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Beautiful Skin
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Being a Vegetarian
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Bible Mysteries
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Freelancing
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Learning Spanish on Your Own (second edition)
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Lost Civilizations
• The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Reflexology
• Smart Shopping the Lazy Way
Minnesota Historical Society Press / Borealis Books
Line edited and copyedited the following works:
• The Lyncher in Me, a nonfiction narrative by Warren Read.
• Wineries of Minnesota and Wisconsin, a guide to area wineries by Patricia Monaghan.
• The Citizen Solution, a work on progressive politics by Harry C. Boyte.
• Come One Come All, a cookbook by Lee Svitak Dean (proofreading).
• Minnesota’s Golden Age of Wrestling, a history by George Shire.
• Anishinaabe Syndicated: A View from the Rez, a collection of essays and columns by Jim Northrup.
• The 1968 Project: A Nation Coming of Age, a companion book to the 1968 Exhibit.
• Mni Sota Makoce: The Land of the Dakota, a Minnesota Book Award–winning history by Gwen Westerman and Bruce White (substantive editing).
• Making Marriage: Husbands, Wives, and the American State in Dakota and Ojibwe Country, an analysis of nineteenth-century gender politics by Catherine Denial.
• Conflicted Mission: Faith, Disputes, and Deception on the Dakota Frontier, a study of missionary and Dakota interaction in antebellum Minnesota by Linda M. Clemmons.
• Warrior Nation: A History of the Red Lake Ojibwe, the story of the Red Lake Nation in northwestern Minnesota by Anton Treuer.
• We Carry Our Homes with Us, a memoir by Cuban immigrant Marisella Veiga.
• Making Waves: Grassroots Feminism in Duluth and Superior, a history of Twin Ports feminism and organizations by Elizabeth Ann Bartlett.
• Scandinavians in the Statehouse: How Nordic Immigrants Shaped Minnesota Politics, a history by Klas Bergman.
• Complicated Fun: The Birth of Minneapolis Punk and Indie Rock, 1974–1984, an oral history compilation by Cyn Collins.
• Dirty Doc Ames and the Scandal That Shook Minneapolis, a journalistic history by Erik Rivenes.
• Wild and Rare: Tracking Endangered Species in the Upper Midwest, a lyrical look at eleven Minnesota natives by Adam Regn Arvidson (proofreading).
• When Republicans Were Progressive, a political memoir and call to action by U.S. Senator Dave Durenberger, with Lori Sturdevant.
Skinner House Press
Copyedited the manuscript for Uncommon Community, a guide to prison writing programs sponsored by the Unitarian Universalist church, by John Speer.
Worked with the author and in-house editor to develop and edit the text for Creating the Not So Big House, a best-selling architecture book by Sarah Susanka.
University of Minnesota Press (for Wendy Holdman Design)
Line edited and copyedited manuscripts for the following books. Worked with authors through author review, indexing, and proofing stages; copyedited indexes; approved and merged proofs; checked and applied formatting using Scribe Mark-up Language (ScML).
• Cinema Approaching Realty: Locating Chinese Film Theory, a philosophy text by Victor Fan, lecturer of film studies at King’s College, London.
• Inheriting Possibility: Social Reproduction and Quantification in Education, a study of systemic bias by Ezekiel J. Dixon-Román.
• Code and Clay, Data and Dirt: Five Thousand Years of Urban Media, a history of the mediated and mediating city by Shannon Mattern.
• Youth Media Matters: Participatory Cultures and Literacies in Education by Korina M. Jocson.
• Herlands: Exploring the Women’s Land Movement in the United States by Keridwen N. Luis.
• Line editing and copyediting for Post-Dated: The Schooling of an Irreverent Bonsai Monk, an account of Michael’s apprenticeship in Japan.
• Coauthor credit (I’d call it heavy editing) for “Mountain Hemlock on Levitated Nylon Board,” published in Bonsai Focus magazine.
Dr. Joseph Gryskiewicz
Substantive editing and copyediting for Dr. Joe’s Guide to Cosmetic Surgery.